Who Can Participate:
The following businesses can apply to offer CLIMBER loans:
- Nonprofit lenders
- Credit unions
The CLIMBER Loan Fund will support small business lending across the state by providing enhancements and loans capital to lenders. The Fund purchases participations in eligible loans, enhances loans, and provides direct lending capital for CDFIs.
- $250 million small business access-to-capital loan program
- Distributed in successive tranches, up to $50 million each, from 2021 to 2023
- $30,000-$500,000 loans for working capital
- Refinancing options available
Small Business Qualifications
- For-profit corporation, partnership, or association incorporated in Colorado; filed with the Colorado Secretary of State as a foreign entity authorized in Colorado; a nonprofit in Colorado; or a sole proprietorship owned by a Colorado resident with primary operations in Colorado
- 5-99 employees
- Sole proprietorship owned by a CO resident with primary operations in Colorado
- 2 consecutive years positive cash flow in the previous 5 years before February 29, 2020
- A debt service coverage ratio of at least 1:1 before February 29, 2020
Special considerations will be given to small businesses that are underserved and/or rural businesses, are located in low- to moderate-income areas, and/or are located in distressed and underserved areas.
CLIMBER offers three unique resources to encourage small business lending by offsetting loan risk.
Provides a cash deposit equal to 10-15% of a registered loan as a pooled loan loss reserve
Up to 20% cash deposit as a loan-specific collateral enhancement; no borrower fees; deposits must be paid back to CLIMBER.
Fund purchases 80% of loan; no borrower fees; lender can charge interest on retained share of loan.
Provides lending capital for direct loans to small businesses. Loan capital can fund up to 100% of a loan with a 20% loan loss reserve with the balance due back to CLIMBER at maturity; borrower fees optional.
*Only available to non-bank lenders: non-depository CDFIs, nonprofit lenders
To apply to offer CLIMBER funds or if you have questions, contact CHFA Community Development at CLIMBER@chfainfo.com.